Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Inspiration

I have always carried the view that my still life paintings are for the sole purpose of immortalizing objects I find aesthetically pleasing through a Trompe L'oeil style. However, as I progress in my works, I have come to the realization that works of art can be much more than just "eye catching" pretty pictures. I have begun to go beyond the idea of painting objects because 'I like the way they look'. There is no problem with this idea and I very well may return to it, however, I am attempting to build off this theme as though it were a platform for larger topics.

Recently, I have studied the work of several modern artists who paint in a way I aspire to paint. The first of these contemporary masters is John Rizzotto.


Rizzotto's unique compositions include high levels of realism without crossing the 'border' into stark, cold, photo realism. Each of his paintings can be representative of big ideas and issues far larger than the subject matter's first appearance.
While there may be a sense of randomness to the setup of each composition, it is well planned and purposeful. Rizzotto's romantic-style color palette harks to former masters such as Harnette and Vermeer, yet maintains a sense of illustration in the exaggerated hues and saturation.








Another contemporary artist that has been influential in my work is Jonathan Queen.

Queen uses objects (primarily toys) to demonstrate scenarios in a romanticized, exaggerated manner. His works utilize a Utopian perspective such as Norman Rockwell. Like Rizzotto, Queen also amplifies his color schemes in order to create warmth a sense of 'invitingness' into his compositions.

A more portrait-oriented artist that I'm drawn to is Julio Reyes

Reyes' work is perhaps the most inspirational and moving of any contemporary artist to my current knowledge. His pieces really hit home with me in an way I can not explain. The juxtaposition of his portraits are so powerful that I can emotionally connect with them by first glance. To me, they make a statement about beauty vs. industry and the coldness that can be brought about by backgrounds such as an electric transformer field. They are so modern and yet classically painted/drawn. I love the idea of posing an innocent female figure before a daunting, dangerous background like a set of power lines. Reyes has had a direct influence in the way I am going about conceptual art.



No comments:

Post a Comment